Check Out My Parts On Ebay




My 1961 Comet Pages


Follow 61Thriftpower on Twitter





































1960 - 1969
VIN & Dataplate Decoder
1959 - 1968
Comet/Lincoln/Mercury
Carb Decoder
1960 - 1965
Canadian Comet/Falcon/Frontenac
Dataplate Decoder









Comet Stuff



















































Other Stuff







Links & Cruise Nights









E-MAIL
Odometer Reading:

Ardzagang TV

The Armenian TV Station


Website Powered by



This Site Dedicated To
My Dad

Google
Google My Website








May the road ahead
be free of potholes



Restorations 1

This page dedicated to things I have done to the Comet to either restore or enhance!


BACK- 1- 2- FOWARD


Engine and Engine Compartment Restoration

I have started restoring the engine and engine compartment. I started by removing the wire harness, battery tray, horns, generator, fan and fan pully, radiator and hoses and air cleaner. I cleaned the walls of the compartment with greased lightning which worked great! Then I repainted the radiator support, fan and fan pully, battery tray, hood prop rod and air cleaner.






Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Repainted the radiator support, battery tray and the hood prop.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Repainted the air cleaner and added a "Thrift Power" decal like origional.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a Ford power punch battery. This is a gel cell inside a tar battery case. Maintenance free but it looks like a lead acid battery.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Repainted the fan, fan pully and added new hoses and a fan belt.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a brand new 2 row radiator

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a set of repo FOMOCO battery cables. Added the battery clamp down which was in bad shape.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Made a set of spark plug wires out of some clear red bulk spark plug wire.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Here is another view of the wires. I remember this wire on one of my dad's cars when I was a kid!

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a decal to the coil. I know, it's a Falcon part number.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Stripped and painted the regulator and added a FoMoCo decal!

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a FoMoCo decal to the starter relay too!.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a new oil breather cap and a origional decal.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Repainted the valve cover and installed a new neoprene gasket

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a red distributor cap.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


When I changed the oil this time I replaced the filter with a Mobile 1 filter with a Rotunda 6000 mile oil filter decal.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


I installed origional tower type hose clamps on the radiator and heater hoses.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


I installed new radiator hoses with FoMoCo logos on them.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


I installed new heater hoses using the Ford white stripe style.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


This kit was put out by Rotunda (Ford) and the water reservoir is a bag. I stripped and re-painted the bag hanger.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Here is the foot pump. It is just to the right of the high beam kick switch. Two hoses run through the fire wall. One to the water reservoir and the other to the washer nozzels.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Here is a Rotundo Solvent Bottle. These came out in 1963. I figure that 1961 car owners must have put them in their cars! I refinshed the bracket and cap on this one as well as putting a reproduction lable on it.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


The kit actually came with nozzels that were suppose to go through the hood. I did not want to drill holes in the hood. I found some NOS nozzels that fit the holes that were already there for a cowl install.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Put in a rebuilt starter and added a FoMoCo decal.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Put in a rebuilt generator that I painted. Also added a FoMoCo decal as well as a radio condensor warning ring to the field connection.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a Rotunda R1-1 decal on a Mobil 1 filter which I painted red.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Repainted the exhaust manifold gray.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a FoMoCo antifreeze tag.

Click to open page with an enlarged picture


Added a factory battery OK decal to the inside fender.


BACK- 1- 2- FOWARD